Seeking solutions to deal with the climate crisis, to achieve the goals proposed in the Paris Agreement, and concerned about the lack of sufficient public resources to combat deforestation, the state of Rondônia saw in the Reduction of Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD+) a practical strategy to generate revenue and conserve forests at the same time.
As explained in the article published by Página 22, a magazine that is a reference for sustainability topics in Brazil, Rondônia plans to follow a study prepared by Idesam to attract investments to generate resources through carbon markets. This is an approach based on growth that began before the crisis and that promises to grow again after the recovery, as analyzed by our CEO, Plínio Ribeiro.
“As a matter of available capital in the face of the Covid-19 emergency, the markets only paused, but they did not shut down the process that showed it was heating up in the six months preceding the current crisis, when there was a strong increase in demand for forest carbon credits.”
CEO of Biofílica, to Página 22
Rondônia currently has 75% of its remaining forests legally protected and the remaining 25% on private land. This means it is one of the most historically degraded regions of the Amazon. By keeping forests standing through means of REDD+ projects, the study underlining the strategy foresees that between 2016 and 2030 the emission of 156 million tons of carbon will be avoided and from the generated carbon credits, approximately US$ 780 million will be raised for the state.
The content also highlights the work of some projects, such as the REDD+ Rio Preto-Jacundá Project, a model initiative for the state of Rondônia that has already enabled local communities to earn revenues of R$ 3.5 million, reverted to their development, as a result of sustainable use of the forest and, consequently, of the carbon credits generated and sold by Biofílica to neutralize emissions from organizations in Brazil and the world.
Efforts to combat climate change cannot stop. Invest in neutralizing your company’s CO2 emissions through REDD+ Projects and contribute to curbing deforestation in the Amazon.
Be part of the change:
carbon credits are available to neutralize CO2 emissions!
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.